
I chatted with my sisters today. Three-way calls are always fun. So middle school and awesome. Audrey called me first. Then Danielle beeped in later. As usual, we discussed the random and inconsequential parts of our life. Such as:
- Audrey's half-marathon training kick-off party Saturday night and how she fit 25 people in her tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny living room. I didn't even know she knew 25 people there in Boston for this kind of party. My expectations hovered around 5 or 6.
- The fact that Audrey inadvertently and unwillingly took five years of Latin from middle school through high school. Who studies a dead language except medical students or wanna-be-greek-mythology professors? We moved a lot during these tender years and... I'm not really sure what happened there. But she is still bitter.
- Dani's miracle eye cream containing alpha-hydroxy and vitamin K and how she'd like to wear less makeup and focus instead on skin care. Also, that she pronounces Origins as oh-RIH-gins, because it's one of those words we don't really say out loud and when you finally do, you realize you've been saying it wrong all along in your head (it's OR-ih-gins).
- How Dani thought Jacob was red-headed throughout all four books of the Twilight series, because he was first described as "russet" colored. Apparently she missed the part about this referring to his skin color. Ruination to the third degree. Mostly because she has had a pasty white, red-headed stalker since elementary school and he is still going strong.
- We also discussed my request for miracle eye cream recommendations on this blog (that no one responded to - it's okay, i'm over it *sniff*), but Aud informed me that I was asking the wrong crowd. That really I needed to ask older, Asian women, and I said, "What? Older, Asian women... that's random." As in, why Asian women and not Argentinian women, for example. "Really?" she said. "Because we are Asian, Noey." Oh yeah... see, I forget sometimes. That I am Asian. Because it's not like I go around inhaling fish oil and eating with chopsticks all day long. Nor do I see an Asian person when I look in the mirror. I feel your bafflement, but it would be impossible for me to explain... unless you are also Asian American.
- Lastly, we discussed the maid. A topic on which my heathen and ungrateful nature reigns supreme. So let's stop right there while we're ahead.
8 comments:
All I can say is I love you guys, all 3 of you!
noe this is just too funny. sisters are the best aren't they. you all really need to look into some ichat or skype...it's on my top 10 list of things i could never do without again.
anyway..i was remembering back to our King Henry days of Bruce in the living room giving this very animated production and reenactment of realizing that he was Asian (for the first time...i still don't believe that) on his mission. do you remember that! i had to laugh out loud. and it made me wonder... has he 100% totally worn off on your or what. i hope not, i can't even imagine you having to stop at every mirror you pass to do the running man. whoa. lol
ps. nuttin' but love for ya bruce.
maybe i need to explain the latin thing.
in middle school, i got put in a latin class. so that was year 1.
then i went to high school, and THAT school would check off my requirement of 2-years of a language IF i took ONE more year of latin. so that was year 2.
THEN, i moved to ANOTHER high school, and THEY required that i had TWO years of a language while IN high school, and wouldn't count my middle school time. so that was year 3.
THEN, i moved to YET ANOTHER high school, and THEY required THREE years of a language, but WOULD NOT count my middle school time. seriously?? so that was year 4.
by my senior year, i had stayed in the same high school, THANK GOODNESS, and realized, what was one more year of this dead language since i was already comfortable with the teacher and the classroom, and slid by fairly well. seemed like an easy A, especially when you have senioritis. so that was YEAR 5.
unreal. 5 years dedicated to a dead language. helped me on my ACT's and SATs, but now?
I love the fact that you and your sisters forget you are asian. I don't know what asian women use for eye creme but they all seem to carry umbrellas around. rain/shine/warm/cold and maybe inside? I don't know if they think it is bad luck to open an umbrella inside. Anyway, maybe you should just carry an umbrella around, or maybe you do and then this recommendation is both worthless and ironic. Love you all and miss you. Derek
My girls...my favorite and bestest friends. We got over the teen years and here we are in a good place.
Wow Noelle, this was a phone call? I'm thinking it's 5 star entertainment.
If I were on top of reading blogs the past month and a half I would have responded right away about eye cream...Oil of Olay Total Effects Eye Transforming Cream. I actually tested it on one side for 2 weeks and was SHOCKED at how well it worked. I've used it for 2 years now and would never use anything else. If you want to try it let me know and I'll add another jar to my order.
The whole Asian thing makes sense because I never look into the mirror and think...oh, white chick.
Ok, off to catch up on all the posts I have missed out on...
That's why we always went to your house...just to be a fly on the wall and catch your mom singing or your dad trying to wrestle the boys. I love your family.
If I knew of an eye cream that worked, I'd let you know. I tried a sample of Estee Lauder's Perfectionst cream and loved it, but it's 100$, so that ended my love affair with it. Let me know what you come up with.
Happy Valentines Day
I am laughing right now. Yes, I understand. Only the Asian Americans could :) Although I am married to a whitie who always reminds me of my asian-ness.
I missed your eye cream post? I don't really have a suggestion yet. And you don't really need to worry about aging. Your asian remember? We don't really age young. However, my mom uses the cindy crawford line and likes it. It seems too fussy for me. Wash, tone, moisturize, eye cream, neck cream....once a week face mask....night serum....oh my.
love you. happy v-day!
xoxo
Post a Comment