Wednesday, May 6, 2009

singing and dancing

It's all I remember doing when I was growing up. Our home was filled with music and movement. Adults and children alike. Mom, I keep getting flashbacks of us, our living room and Gloria Estefan and The Miami Sound Machine...



Oye. So many possible ways to scar our children.

I once idolized Paula Abdul and choreographed a dance to Straight Up with my best friend, Joyce Chen. We begged our 4th-grade teacher, Mrs. Tootle (a perky black woman who enjoyed wearing yellow), to let us perform it for the class. We even had matching rolled-up jean shorts and a trendy two-sock look on each foot that only accentuated the awesomeness of our white Keds. It was a shining moment for me.

I also distinctly remember spending hours pouring over Madonna's song lyrics (Dear Jessie, anyone?) and a 5th grade conversation during recess where I tried to convince my friend, Tara Smelkinson, that Madonna was the most genius songwriter in the history of the world. Seriously.

But though pop culture comes and goes, there are a few things that are classic for a reason.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Gene Kelly was my first love. (Second only maybe to Gilbert Blythe.) And I wanted nothing more than to be Leisl von Trapp singing, "I am sixteen going on seventeen..." in a gazebo.

So when Bruce told me he had never seen Singin' In the Rain or The Sound of Music, what do you think I did? That's right. After crying, "Sacrilege!" and ranting over his deprived childhood, we went and marathoned it.

Photobucket

Guess who may have loved it the most?

Photobucket

I'm dying to sign him up for dance classes, but Bruce might have an aneurysm. It's such a dirty shame, too. You should see his pirouette. Smashing.



Song choice(s): Conga - Gloria Estefan and The Miami Sound Machine, Dear Jessie - Madonna, Singin' In the Rain - Gene Kelly, Sixteen Going on Seventeen - The Sound of Music Soundtrack

12 comments:

pete on said...

DUDE!!!! if your going to sign him up for dance now u better be signing him up for football, soccer, or something manly!!!

Melissa Hodgen said...

Singing in the Rain is the best!
Noelle, I remember you singing in the middle of chemistry class and you didn't even realize it. From then on it was my job to nudge you just so you could come back to reality. Sometimes you cared, sometimes you didn't. And that is why I love you!

Raina said...

Ok.. you are SO funny... and so articulate. I am neither, so I really appreciate your blog! The movie choices bring back a flood of memories and the conga has me and my boys dancing this VERY moment!!! Great pictures too. you're a pro!

M said...

I'd put you on the floor when you were a baby, dance and leap over you. You only got stepped on a couple of times. P and I still feel like dancing when we hear Conga...very catchy! I love hearing your classic playlist. Nice memories.

Gayle said...

Ah... The Sound of Music. Love, love it. And love that picture of L - what a cutie!

Laura said...

i'm trying to typw and dance at the same time here becuase i'm diggin' the conga!

bruce was definitely deprived and so was jarom. my brothers and me stayed up late one night trying to just teach him basic rhythm! ever seen the movie "the jerk" with steve martin? that would be jarom!

tipton just recently told me he wanted to be a dancer when he grew up. i told him i'd keep his secret because that was definitely forbidden from his daddy. him and l need to get together and start the next awesome dance crew...break dancing of course.
i know, super lengthy comment here...lastly, the classics are the best! who doesn't love gene kelly? i think you need to just pack up and head to broadway babe!

Beth Davis said...

Ok- I first have to ask- Was that your time on the treadmill?!?! 2.5 miles in 17min?!?!
I just caught up on your blog and you are one crazy chica! You look amazing- you always have. I'm feelin ya though when it comes to eating more calories than I burn- agh, and eating treats for breakfast, lunch and dinner- that doesn't help me at all.
Anyway- so I'm embarrassed to say that JC was the one who introduced me to Singing in the Rain. I had a deprived childhood as well. I LOVE that movie! JC couldn't believe I had never seen it- it's one of his favorites! I've been catching up on all of the classics over the past 4 years.
PS- your little sister is amazing! I love her adventures!

Allison said...

Okay, as soon as your music started playing on my computer, Emma Kate started dancing around the house!! Then, I couldn't help myself. Thanks for helping us let loose for a few minutes!

Garity said...

Would you believe "Sound of Music" is Kris' all time favorite movie? Any time it's on TV he'll sit and watch it. Kind of freaked me out at first when we were dating. He balances it out with plenty of Steven Segal movies though...gag me.

Tell Bruce those cute dancers need a manly man like L to twirl them around. You could also tell him that dance classes would actually make your boys better athletes...proven fact. Good luck though.

Betsy said...

Cameron pretty much has every song from Mamma Mia memorized and on Sunday when I asked the kids on the way to church, which music, primary or Sound of Music....yeah, Cameron said...I want to listen to Maria.

I feel the same way about dance. Cam is already on his toes...might as well make use of that. Makena's teacher is a man, he and his wife are the owners...I mentioned this to him...and he was like, really do you think your husband would let you sign the boys up? Ummm.....that would be a no.

pete on said...

BRUCE I AM SO DISAPPOINYED IN U!!! A MARATHON OF CHICK FLICKSSS!!!

audrey said...

"candy kisses and a sunny day... dear jesse..."

those songs were our LIVES.

speaking of memories, do you remember that cardboard clubhouse we had? and there was a President and a Vice President and a Treasurer and a Secretary... Were you the treasurer or was I?

also, do you remember, mom, sitting us down and talking to us about the message behind madonna's "material girl"?? you wanted to make sure we understood that what she was singing about wasn't what we wanted to become... etc. etc. haha.

mom, from gloria estefan to jesse cook to david lanz to les mis to paula abdul and the 80s chicks... you did a good job creating the soundtrack of our childhood. we've got a seriously good playlist.