I've tried different background colors, but I can't escape black or white. Is it because I'm inherently simple or simple-minded? Both? I've also searched in vain on those cutestblogontheblock.com type places, but - let's face it - I'm not a patterned blog background kind of gal. They remind me of scrapbooking, and as I abhor scrapbooking, it would be misleading.
So then this brings me to my header. I need/want a new header. I don't like this black and white montage of perfectly-posed portrait pictures. My 16-year-old, insecure inner self assumes friends and lurkers show up here thinking, "What, do these people think they are a perfect little family with their perfectly posed pictures?" Again, grossly misleading. Because we are not perfectly posed. Ninety-nine point nine percent of the time we are the opposite of perfectly posed. Take right now, for instance. As I type this, my hair is twisted up into a teeth clip, my face is make-up-less on the side M used to wipe her snot, and I'm wearing a brown Gap sweater over black sweatpants (can you hear the fashionistas screaming?).
Bottom line: I want a new header, but I need your help! You all are out there. I know you are, because I lurk over at your place with your fun, cool headers that are not montages of your family pics. I might even give you L in exchange for your munificent services.

He's down to just one potty accident every other day and he only throws things when he doesn't get what he wants. Easy breezy. He's a joy.
So, if you wouldn't mind contributing to the upping of my cool factor and helping me design a new header, please click on the hot pink flower to the right that says, "Email me." Or leave me a comment.
p.s. I live for your comments - acknowledgment that someone actually read what I ignored my children for half an hour to write. Like the cool kids stopping by my locker to say hi. Thrill me!
12 comments:
You mean you aren't perfect. This just destroyed all of my visions of you!!!
I can't wait to see the new look!
I'll step out from behind my lurking curtain... ahem.. I'm Rachel, long ago friend of bruce and family. I can't even remember how I found your blog.. probably from Kauti's (where I also lurk regularly thanks to my blog reader). lol... anyway, I thought I'd come out and let you know that I LOVE your blog and that I actually really like your perfect pics uptop. If you find someone to help you design a header send them my way... I'm stuck w/the myblogiscuterthancute.com (lol) stuff. ugh. I like reading your blog so keep it up.. .and please, blog about why the heck you guys are in Mexico? Why did you take your family to Mexico, Bruce??!!?? it actually looks like fun...
Funny that you should right about this because I SERIOUSLY was just thinking the other day how much I liked your header. So don't change it.
I love to come to your blog and I'll even confess that I check it as soon as I'm notified you've updated. I probably read as much as your mom. Don't be freaked out by this.
AS for everything else on your blog it's great! I love your simplicity and that you haven't fallen into the trap of using thecutestblogontheblock (i'm so weak and never happy with it and just continue to change it...maybe I should be more like you and change mine to white or black). But I think it is also a symbol of excellent writing. Seriously! All of us colorful, patterned, wannabe scrapbookers have to compensate for our bad writing skills. However, 3 of my favorite blogs are white backgrounds with lovely headers and amazing writing. I dream of your skills.:) You can check them out if you don't believe me... at theshaferfamilyblog.blogspot.com AND www.cally-cruze.blogspot.com and noelleandbruce.blogspot.com ;)
OK, sorry I've just written a book but it's just becuase I love ya!
But I love your header! I have no idea how to improve on your brilliance otherwise. I'm not a fan of any of those blog/scrapbook looking backgrounds either (for our blog) which is why I just find pictures on the net. I've used the pictures of the talavera tile I have there now or I go to an actual wallpaper site (pictures of samples you'd stick on an actual wall http://www.wallpaperwholesaler.com/ is the one I use most because there are huge pictures to copy) and choose something there to make my own background through the HTML codes.
I love your layouts though!
Hey Noelle. Love your black/white photo header. It is you, not because it's simple but because it's artistic. Seeing the pics of your fam makes me sigh - missing all of you and the grandkids keep growing and I'm missing that (another sigh). I have to visit this summer ... when are you coming to the states? Give the kids a huge hug.
love.tutu
I love your header too! And love that picture of L -- what a kid! Potty accidents only every other day? I'll swap ya for Courtney. :-)
u know i will take luke anytime!!!!! the question is what i the knew header really worth to you....
oh, and as for the sweatpants....i have a confession....I bought 4 pairs of sweats last week! ha! I don't think I have bought a pair of sweats in 5+ years, so you would be proud. one of them is the cutest pair of comfy sweats you'll ever see--red with red embroidery all over one of the legs....adorable. they were having gap family/friend days and i couldn't resist the $10 steals!
Let's just face it. We are not scrapbooky material. "Yerr neverrr gonna be jello." (Julia Roberts, My Best Friend's Wedding :)
I mean, I rip out scraps of images I like, paste them in a journal, and scribble my own kind of record. But I don't think that is the definition of scrapbooking :)
So I am glad you have attempted to be true to who you are bloggingly :)
And as for the header/layout you have now, I think it IS you... It feels like you. It's comfortable when I look at it, familiar, home, just like you are to me. I would tell you if something felt foreign :)
As for presenting misleading photos of perfectly posedness, I never looked at the montage as unrealistic, cheeseball olan mills-y. It's more like peeking into pieces of your personalities, catching the perfect smiles that ARE a part of your life. I mean come on--life isn't perfect but with your kids, there sure is a lot of smiling, laughing, and hugging. Aren't we lucky? I miss you.
Coming soon :) Again. xoxo.
i can't really be giving advise on how to spice up a blog because my 1) I have never changed the color of mine or the picture
2) it is simply a group of memories for my kiddos --not a witty, fun look on life with artistic pictures
I love your blog--love keeping up with you guys and hearing your take on things! you are great!
oh, I forgot--I love the way you group your pictures in cool collages. How do you do this??? I have been trying to figure out how to do it for a while now. Please help me!
i am not very blog header tech savvy, but i just wanted to say that i love love love that picture of l.
Post a Comment