Loved the General Relief Society Meeting tonight. It is hard to walk away from these things without a little bit more love in your heart and eternal perspective. But it is extra fun when you are there with your friends...
We had a Stake presentation beforehand where our ward and another sang "Our Savior's Love" and "Love at Home" in spanish. Music is always a clincher for me with its boundary-transcending properties of spirit. And when they presented a slideshow of the women in our Stake actively engaged in Enrichment activities and service - all to "Sisters in Zion" in spanish - I can't help but get a little misty. Can't help it, friends.
Many of the Mexican women that surrounded me tonight are very poor by American standards, with limited education and resources. But here they are, learning the gospel, learning to serve, teach, lead and speak publicly. Learning to can fruit and sew and knit and cook. Learning to study the scriptures, apply principles and doctrine into their lives. Learning to experience the joy and love and understanding that comes from a knowledge of who they are, why they are here, and what their purpose is. Realizing their potential.
It is miraculous. It truly is. To see what a transformation the gospel can have in our lives. How it can enrich us temporally, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. How it can break cycles of poverty, abuse, neglect and ignorance. Which made it especially fitting when Sister Allred (three cheers for our Latina representation) shared the story of her mother who was called when she was a recent convert to serve as the Relief Society president in her branch. With no previous experience in organizational or public-speaking or teaching skills. To then have a daughter that would grow up to serve in the General Relief Society Presidency? This is a testament as to the fruits of that young mother's labor in the gospel. "The legacy is passed from heart to heart." My favorite quote from President Eyering tonight.
And afterward, as I drove some of my friends home from the meeting, I was thinking tonight about how much I love living here in Mexico. How hard it can be. How easy it can be. How humbling it can be. How disheartening it can be. How wonderful it can be.
But my very favorite part of living in Mexico is the people I have met here. The fascinating variety and dynamic scope of personalities and stories that converge with my life, my existence in this place. People that I may not have met in American suburbia. People that are worth the sacrifice. I feel enriched to be included in their circle of influence. I feel blessed to know them. The girls in my ward at church. The moms of my childrens' friends at school. Fellow expatriates. Other Mexican instructors and gym members.
And yes, friends. Even my maid.
So sometimes I think, that in spite of all the terrible things happening in our world, there are still good people everywhere. And I feel hopeful for humanity.
Duke’s Birth Story
9 years ago

5 comments:
That is right, Noelle. Well said, dearest.
It is Lola's birthday today and she is now living here in PA. Sweet woman.
i don't very often "miss" el DF, but i surely do miss my mexican hermanas. strong women indeed.
In my experience, it's always the people that make a place special.
Ok, that was beautiful! Perfectly said. Aren't those sisters just amazing? Wow, so neat to be amoung them... and humbling. I was getting misty eyed during that slide show too. I love El DF... I think I am going to cry a lot when it's time to go. Bust shhh I am not going to think about that yet. Thanks for sharing that. Xoxo. L
PS SWEET PRIMARY PROGRAM!!! IT ROCKED MY WORLD.
Post a Comment