
I took this photo while flying over Mexico City.
I don't feel like uploading all my pictures tonight, but I did want my mother to know I have arrived back home to Mexico in one piece. I spent the last five days in hot-as-all-get-out-Houston, but the moments spent with friends and family were sublime, memorable and hilarious. I held a brand new baby, witnessed a bizarre marriage proposal, ate thai food - twice, watched two seconds of fireworks and miraculously packed everything I had bought while in the States into a suitcase that weighed 48 pounds upon check-in. (Miraculous, I tell you). Bruce and the kids survived the weekend without me, and as there were no visible cuts, bruises or missing appendages when I returned home, I'd say it was successful.
I boarded a Continental Express jet headed for Houston Thursday morning. Small airplanes make me marginally nervous and motion sick, but the lady across the aisle from me in 10C suffered from an apparently much more severe case. Flustered, breathy, and reeking of cigarette smoke, she tugged at her green scarf and bounced up and down in her seat. I wanted to lean over and tell her to get a grip. Though when she began crossing herself in the Catholic gesture multiple times in rapid and earnest succession as the plane began backing away from the gate, I silently wondered if perhaps I should offer a little prayer of my own.
On my flight home this afternoon, I was surrounded by an enthusiastic Baptist mission trip group from Kansas on their way to do good at a Mexico City orphanage. Apparently, stepping onto an airplane was a first-time experience for several. I thought then that perhaps a prayer would be an exceptionally wise and circumspect thing to do, considering the sheer irony of the tragedy if our plane of good and inexperienced people did happen to go down or be taken over by terrorist hijackers. I find that most tragedies are heavy laden with irony.
The best part of my flight today, however, was sitting next to a plump, blue-eyed girl named Jennilee. She sported perfect posture and cute little bangs that were swept off to one side. Her blonde hair was highlighted and curled and I couldn't help thinking how she would stick out like a sore, very American thumb in Mexico. She wore a jean skirt and white cardigan over a frilly camisole and carried a large, mustard yellow purse. When the plane took off, she carefully pulled out her Bible, a large journal with a pink and brown swirly pattern on the outside cover, and the book The Secret. When she wrote in her journal, I sneaked a peek (couldn't help myself) and read, "I am so thankful to be going to Mexico City to help these little children! God is good!"
I love traveling sans kids. Look at what I would have missed out on if I'd been too busy chasing M down the plane aisle.
5 comments:
Glad you're back! I forgot you were going...and I know you told us several times. Can't wait for photos. Daughter, you have a little mischief in you.
why does your writing leave me wanting to turn the page...i get wrapped up and then remember..wait blogs don't have pages:) very descriptive...juicy almost. i could see it all. glad you had a good time, if ever I travel any where on earth without children it will be blog worthy as well. love you
This has me laughing and reading your post out loud to my husband. I love your perfect descriptions and your thought of prayer. :D I can't wait to see more pictures! Glad you're home safe and sound.
I am so glad I know someone else who takes pictures out of the airplane window. Welcome back! Be thinking about what I can bring back to you (even though you have probably stocked up on everything you want) as a thank you for helping out with pictures when our house flooded there in Mexico. I'll be sending out an e-mail for requests.
Oh, and the moving company decided they could bring our table up the back staircase so no fun pictures of it being brought by helicopter! BUMMER! If that changes I'll let you know.
did all the clothes work out? you'll have to let me know! i hope you had a great time--i am surprised you didn't bring TWO suitcases though. i'm not sure how you fit all the stuff into just one--i saw all the stuff that josh ordered for bruce off amazon--all those books alone would fill a suitcase! talk to you soon :)
Post a Comment