Thursday, April 30, 2009

red socks

My sister Danielle sent us the following email today. Hope you enjoy her Peruvian drama and photos as much as I did. Only this girl...

Photobucket

Today I climbed the summit of Machu Picchu . . . in socks.

Yes, that's right. FOUR HOURS of grueling VERTICAL climbing in a flimsy pair of red socks, courtesy of Delta.

From the beginning I could tell this little "wkend trip" was going to be a battle ... I missed my first flight. Had to pay for a second one. Arrived totally without luggage. No luggage whatsoever. The FIRST time i EVER check baggage and, of course, it goes missing. We call every baggage claim b/t Peru and Atlanta ... Its status? "Unknown," they tell me, without any explanation.

So all I have on me is:
1) sundress
2) flip flops
3) journal, pen, camera

Fine. That´s all we pretend we ever need anyways, right? A positive attitude and a camera and a journal . . . I thought, it´s okay. I will man it out. One sundress for 3 days of grimy train rides, plane rides, cabs, and llamas. High in the mountains, no less.

We started out at 5:00 am for a whole day hike. Somehow, thru hand-me-downs from the people around me, I inherited a holey pair of knee pants, a sweater rolled up at the wrists, and a kitschy hand-knit headband. Of course no one had a size 5 pair of tennis shoes to lend me. So i had on $5 flip flops, but what can one do? Peru is a once-in-a-lifetime experience; you HAVE to experience Machu Picchu or you might as well stay home. This was my rational when we began our journey.

Halfway up the mountain, one of my flip flops goes soaring off a cliff. I kid you not: wholly unannounced, my shoe just FLINGS itself from my foot and jumps in a graceful arch off the cliff like a kamikaze. I am speechless. I have ONE SHOE and there is nothing but sheer VERTICAL CLIFFS above & below me. Nothing but rocks ... for hours. I want to sit down and cry but I can't. Not with all the Peruvians cheering me on, "muy fuerte!" they kept yelling as they climbed alongside of me.

So what else could I do but finish the rest of the mountain, both up and back down again, every aching step barefoot? For four hours.

Everyone felt so sorry for me. I had people giving me weird looks as they passed by. They kept asking me "No shoes?" in every language from Arabic to German. And I had to keep telling them "No tennis shoes - my plane lost my baggage. And my flip flop just fell off the mountain . . ." Most of them were amazed, "There´s the girl who climbed the whole mountain in her red socks," I overheard them say. It was really pathetic. Of course, I am nothing if not BALZY, right mom? So I CLIMBED that mtn. And I climbed it with zest.

"That's very puritanical of you," one Irish guy smiled and said as he brushed past. As though I had chosen to climb the stupid mountain barefoot.

Well anyway, somehow I survived and I am now typing to you from a little internet cafe in Peru, staring out the window at an enormous jagged mountain looming before me, while rotating my swollen ankles under my desk. I hope you're into the fat ankles, I-may-or-may-not-have-diabetes look.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Supposedly the Incans believed this rock had some sort of special power but you had to hold your palms 1 cm from it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Yes. Climbed allllll the way up here! I feel pain spasms all over again just looking at this picture.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Maintained a perfect manicure whilst climbing the mtn. Isn't that amazing? I thought so, too.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Yes, in case you're wondering. I've been wearing these same clothes for four days now.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Darling D, at least it was your shoe and not you that plummeted to the rocks below. And at least the socks were red. Because if you're gonna hike Machu Picchu shoe-less, people should take note and recognize. Word.

Glad you're safe, little sis. Need a pumice stone?

11 comments:

M said...

Hooray for gumption! Glad D didn't miss out because it is a majestic place.

Dana said...

I would have never made it to the top, I would have rationalized it. Way to go! I'm impressed with her strength. I love the red socks. Your right if your gonna go shoeless everyone should know. No one else can complain. By the way how do I get my nails to look like that?

erin said...

righteousssss. pardon my french, but your sister is totally bada$$. that climb is gnarly even when fully shoed. i love your family.

brent said...

so i haven't been on the computer in a while, and what...you like turned into super blogger. holy bloggin' girl, you been busy. wow, so much to comment on. let's see if i can sum it up. swine flu...umm, yuck. plastic toys...surprisingly really pretty, although that same sight at my house, somehow not so pretty. m on the potty, calm down slave driver...didn't she just turn 2!!! news cast of the on family...totally the On family (i loved the eye-roll by the way...and Bruce... he just makes me smile.) you on the way too perfect couch, absolutely lovely (are those gap long and lean stretch jeans...i guess they make those in 4' 10 now! lol...wait 4' 11) and last but not least, your sister....i'm SUCH a boring person. love love love ya

Sherwoods said...

What does one say to a post/email like this. Holy cow. What a trooper!

Laura said...

i'm speechless.
what do you say to that other than i wish i were your sister, red socks, perfect manicure and all.

Gayle said...

Wow. Just wow.

And what amazing pictures too!

Garity said...

Oh my these pictures brought back some amazing memories.

Just socks...seriously? You must have some Incan blood or something.

Peru is an amazing country, I should know since I lived there for part of elementary and junior high school. I'd go back in a second. I'm still addicted to Inca Kola...tastes like bubble gum.

Pitcherpost said...

What a great story! I started to type "poor girl" but I then I took it back! A weekend stinky and shoeless in PERU, I'd take it! But way to make the best of a her trip and not let anything get her down!

audrey said...

i don't know where to begin. i probably read her email a hundred times, laughing so hard. mainly because: i can totally picture her reactions!!! her face, her expression... sigh... i'm smiling again. we should all fill our lives with good stories : )

Melissa Oman said...

You are having such great adventures!!!!
Paul will be so jeolous when I tell him. He has been wanting us to go back to Peru where he served his mission for years.