
Last night I was sitting on my sofa, reflecting on life and circumstances. Feeling grateful for the good things in my life and guilty for the not so good things. And I looked over at this picture of me and B. I marveled at the three-and-a-half years that have gone by since this moment. And was incredulous remembering the one-and-a-half years left until the age of accountability.
Where has the time gone? And what have I done with our time together? All those parenting books stress how the preschool years are the most impressionable years of your child's life. B's preschool years are gone. Gone. He is a boy. A boy who is almost accountable.

This knowledge is weighty.
With the arrival of a new baby, our love is wrapped in secret feelings of hope and dreaming for the little one. We want them to be smart, bright, stylish, funny, fun, athletic, graceful, beautiful, handsome, charming, creative, artistic, or talented. Because we think these are the traits that will make them most successful in life. Or - to go deeper still - that these are the traits that mean we, as parents, have been most successful in life. So we sign them up for dance classes and soccer and piano lessons. We buy them cute clothes and make sure they know the alphabet by age 1 and the multiplication table by age 5. And we play classical music while they're still in the womb, because psychologists have dedicated years of PhD study to its effects on producing highly intelligent offspring.
Superfluous.
My babies really only need two things: light and truth.
Today B asked me some heavy, Atonement-related questions on the way home from school. We pulled into our garage and I parked the car. "Wait, Mom," he said. "Don't get out yet. I just want to talk a little more about Jesus."
Clearly, swimming lessons could wait.
10 comments:
you said it perfectly....or B did. please let me have a son just like him someday.
you clearly are an amazing mother.
Love it. It reminds me how truly truly truly blessed I am!
Beautiful! I couldn't agree with you more.
i know these feelings. beautifully said. love you...
back up, did you say they should know the alphabet by age one? that's great. that's just great.
b is a lucky boy to have such an inspired and insightful momma. i would have loved to have been a fly on the wall of your car during your conversation... what a pensive boy.
So true!
Thanks for your comment about Bryson. He is such a gem... but he's going to be 8 in a couple of years? It'll be a new world . . . You are a wonderful Mom.
It is scary how quickly they grown up. Glad you chose to let swimming lessons wait. What a good mom.
ha. erin, you always say what i think.
noey, i read that ("should know the alphabet by age one") and i was like, hmm. part of me passed it by, assuming you were just rounding down to age one ?? and the other part of me was like, wait a second--that's RIGHT, bryson DID know a gazillion things by age one.
erin, just to make you feel better, i remember bryson reciting some of the articles of faith when he was two.
??
noey, i'm sending belén to you.
I'm still loving your blog... And, I just had to tell you that this post made me cry! Yes, I'm a nerd, but is exactly how I feel about my little guy growing up, and I agree... the swimming lessons can wait. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this post!!! I just wish I had a smidge of your talent for writing as well. You are gifted!
Post a Comment