Saturday, April 18, 2009

mangos

We attended a small branch in a neighboring barrio of Ixtapa Easter Sunday. I love good members of the Church that can be found around the world. Living simple, faithful lives. I offered my piano-playing services to them during Sacrament meeting. They had a small keyboard available. I'm not sure they really knew the tune or rhythm to a few of the songs, but they sang loudly and wholeheartedly. I think they were happy to actually have an accompaniment. It was lovely.

Photobucket

One family invited us over to their home to visit their mango and coconut tree farm. So the next morning we headed out to their place to pick mangos. The most delicious mangos ever.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Like the parable of the olive tree. New branches planted into the roots of an old tree.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This family had six children. The last two were twins. Bruce and I wanted to take them all home with us. Don't you??

Photobucket

Photobucket

I think that when we pulled up in our SUV into this quiet little barrio, we were the most exciting thing to happen here that day - maybe even that week. People came out of their homes and peeked out their doorways, whispering and pointing at us. "Tu viste esos chinos?" Ha.

8 comments:

Kathryn said...

mmm...mangos. Glad it's getting to be mango season.

I can't find them green here like I could there. I've been craving mango pie. You can make mango pie from green mangos just like an apple pie.

M said...

Isn't it an adventure just to be living somewhere different? You could never experience so many things just as a tourist. I love how L is in every photo of this set. I love M's eyes in the last ones.

Kauti Nicholls said...

hey blogahoilc. i just tried calling you--you are probably at church or maybe taking care of the kids, but I'm dying to talk to you, so you have to call me if you get time today!!! i am glad you guys are back and that i can finally get ahold of you!!! :)

i already love all your trip pics. i hope you guys had a great time! those mangoes look yummmmmy......

Kauti Nicholls said...

btw, i'm not sure how much i like you guys living so far away. tell bruce to get some sort of international cell phone where i can reach you at any time! no internet and no phone for one week--i could have died and you wouldn't have known it! :( or tell bruce to move to ky, by us.

Laura said...

what a humbling experience. what a kind family. the children are beautiful and looks like one of your boys found a "friend." this will be an Easter you won't forget.

Sherwoods said...

Wow, that looks awesome. You will have to let us know where that ward is for when we get there! I am so glad you guys had fun, but so glad you are back with us! We miss you in our ward...mucho amiga.

Pitcherpost said...

What a neat experience, days like that are what it's all about!

audrey said...

i agree with kauti; i don't like not being able to talk to you whenever and wherever. i miss the days when you'd call me wherever you were--oh wait, you always called me from the same spot: in the kid-filled car, on the way to or on the way back from the gym. well, still. i miss your voice.

and mangos! ah divine. reminds me of mango-picking in hawaii. so glad the kids got to experience that. and by the way, they're looking more and more mexican every day. they totally blend in with that family.

i love the tree grafting. wow.