Tuesday, October 5, 2010

hormones, hormones, go away

Photobucket

Last night, I was sad. Hormones are a beast. But pregnancy hormones are borderline Medusa. And last night wasn't particularly awful in any pronounced way, but I guess I was tired and exhausted enough to let small things bother me. Like rude people. Rude people normally don't bother me that much, because well, they just don't - unless I'm nearing 9 months of pregnancy, I guess.

Last night, I took the kids with me to the grocery store at about 5:30. I needed to develop some pictures at Costco, and I figured I could grab something lacking any kind of nutritional value from Wendy's for the kids while we waited. When I walked up to the Wendy's register with my ginormous belly and three kids, the two employees at the register looked at each other and rolled their eyes. Then as I was ordering, the girl didn't understand something I said and rolled her eyes again. I was amazed at her audacity. By this time, I could feel my face flush and I felt flustered with M at my legs yelling to be held up so she could "see." When the girl put my order in wrong, I had to correct her, and she and the man at the counter exchanged exasperated looks. The man angrily and pointedly removed the items I hadn't ordered from the tray. Why are they being so mean? I thought. By this point, I could feel the tears welling up, and I just wanted to finish the order and be done. B grabbed our tray and found us a table. I sat down feeling humiliated.

But when we sat down, I realized that in my huff to hurry and finish, I'd forgotten to order drinks and the kids were thirsty. I was too humiliated to go back up there and order drinks, so I asked B to go get one drink for everyone to share. He came back to tell me the cup would be 12 pesos and was that okay? I said it was fine and started counting out the change when a man, who had been standing at the register when B was trying to order a drink, walked over to give us an extra cup and straw that he said was a part of his order but didn't need. I don't know if that was true or if he had just gotten the extra cup for us, but his gesture was so kind and unexpected that I could feel myself tearing up again - this time out of gratitude. I was so grateful for his thoughtfulness, and I am sure the relief on my face was obvious. "Muchissimas gracias!" I said. "Que amable!" And he just smiled and said, "De que."

When we went to Costco to pick up the pictures and as I stood in line at the register, a woman with her teenage daughter came in and the woman pushed her daughter in front of me in the line. It was so rude and obvious again, I couldn't believe it. I glared at the lady and her daughter but she averted her eyes and pushed her daughter again in front of me. Way to teach your daughter, lady, I thought. And I was so tired by now, that I just didn't have the heart anymore to care or say anything. But kindly enough, the Costco employee behind the register had noticed me standing there first and made a point to look around the lady and ask for my ticket next instead of the other lady. Again, I was grateful for a kind, thoughtful person to intervene.

By the time I got my kids and all of our groceries home, I was tired and exhausted and just cried. These are incidences that normally would never have bothered me that much, but I suppose I am just tired, exhausted and pregnant enough that on this particular night, it did. But oh, well. Such is life. And if I learned anything last night, it is that people in this world (like me last night) are just sometimes desperate for a kind word, a thoughtful gesture and a smile. It requires an awareness of others that in our busy lives and natural tendencies for self-preoccupation is sometimes difficult to acknowledge.

To pity distress is human; to relieve it is God-like.

I'm going to work on that.

9 comments:

Danny and Lauren's Blog said...

Oh, Noe! We all know how that feels. I love that you shared that quote (a fav of mine, too!) from conference/horace mann. Thanks for sharing your little story. It's such a good reminder that we all can do so much, if just do a little for someone else. And, most importantly we need to open our eyes! Hang in there. At least you have an excuse for your melt downs... what is mine!? =) Love ya! XO.

mackenzie ray bryant said...

What a horrible experience! Sheesh. And yet this post feels so familiar... I think it's reasons like these that have led to Jase's general aversion to strangers. Sigh. But at least there are some good people out there. Good perspective too, this is something everyone could work on a little more.

M said...

Baby, I love you.

audrey said...

I love you too.

Melissa Hodgen said...

Oh, I'm so sad now. I want to jump on a plane and make you friendship bread. Most impressive is that you didn't give to to the Wendy's staff.

Know that someone in Iowa loves you!

Lim Family - Hawaii said...

Oh gosh Noelle, good for you for holding your tongue. I am not nearly as angelic as you -- i just bawled out 3 people yesterday at Comcast. And I'm not about to pop out a baby so it's not hormonal ... or, maye it really is.

Angie said...

So... did you leave more than an inch between you and the person in front of you at the desk? If so, I can understand why the lady's daughter butt in front of you. You know that's not permissible in MX.
;) Ahhh, those silly mexicanos!

pete on said...

dude you better figure out what tv show we are cramming into 1 night!!! it will be another all nighter... and seriously can we name the kid turner?????

audrey said...

oh pete you kill me : ))))