We were at our pool and while I was digging around my bag looking for something, L fell off the stairs into the deep end. I don't know how long he was under for (I was sifting through my bag for at least a few minutes), and when I turned around, I didn't see him at first. I yelled over to B and said, "Where's L?" And then I saw little L's head bobbing underneath the water. My heart stopped and time stood still. I sprinted over and jumped in to grab him, but luckily, a swim instructor who happened to be there, turned around when I yelled out, and since she was closer, she grabbed him and pulled him out.
I held L close afterward and he clung to me for a good while. He tried to tell me what happened, but L is not a boy of many words. He tells stories with sound effects and actions. Here's how it went...
"Mom, I can't swim. I can't swim, Mom. I blowing bubbles... [pretending to blow bubbles here]... and I fall [makes a whooshing sound]... and I... [kicks legs and arms here]... but Mom, I can't swim. I so sad...[makes a sad face and whimpering noises]. I so scary... [makes a scared face]."
I was so scared, too, L. I love you, buddy. Mom will be more careful next time. L is now signed up for swimming lessons on Wednesdays at 3pm. With the lady who saved him.
P.S. To my doomsayist father: Save your speech. I already know what you're going to say.
14 comments:
Ahhh, how scary! I am so glad it turned out all right! I hope his swimming lesson work and there are no more close calls!
It's weird how things happen in slow motion. Your post made my heart stop. Thank goodness everything turned out ok. Maybe the lesson to be learned is get a smaller bag.
Oh, Noelle, that is so scary! I have had a similar experience (Hannah floating in a hot tub - someone else pulled her out) and it really does make your heart stop. I am so glad everyone is okay -- give them all an extra squeeze tonight!
P.S. The weather here is so cold and rainy the thought of swimming seems so strage! :-)
Oh Noelle! I'm so glad he's ok. I started crying before I even read the post.
Love you!!
Oh Noelle that was so scary! My heart stopped too. Cameron had that experience this year and he can swim. But, he just freaked out. Every mother's worst nightmare.
noelle, you're writing intrigues me so. i was making the bubble noises and whooshing sounds right along with you. that is scary though, we had a similar incident this summer...i on the other hand just stood there paralyzed with fear (i keep trying to put out of my mind the notion that i may just have not wanted to get my hair wet. j/k) hey i'm lovin' all your bloggin' by the way. glad we're back in C-space together. love ya.
Noelle-- how scary!!!
My heart jumped into my throat when I read your title. I know that sickening feeling-- I hope you never have to experience it again.
I'm so glad he's okay. :)
lukieeeeeeeeee! there are NO words: if ANYthing ever happened to your kids... my kids, our kids!!!
i love you lukie.
Oh my gosh i'm so sorry! Brady isn't scared of water so that is my biggest fear is that he will just jump in. I hope the leasons go well so it never happens again! Give them hugs for me!
AHHH! A mom's worst nightmare. I am so glad he is ok. I can totally picture him telling the story you told. He is such a cute guy. I hope he likes his swim lessons.
-ps Paul is quitting FTI and starting his own think with Mark.
awww...I am sooo glad that he's OK--that must have been so scary!
yo dude that is crazy!!! i can't believe that one.... give him a kiss for me...
Don't feel too bad Noelle... Bruce almost drowned almost the same age as Luke (in fact very similar) and he did not have any emotional trauma--- or did he? Maybe that is somehow connected to why Bruce does not like to take things out of ovens. Give Lukie a hug for me. Miss you all. I'm coming to Mexico in February... let me know when a good time would be.
Oh my gosh! My heart is completely nuts right now! I am so glad he is ok! Absolutely terrifying for both of you!
Post a Comment