Sunday, October 12, 2008

sundays

A day of rest? Doesn't feel like it. Sacrament meeting is spent holding down escape artists and shushing whiners alone while staring at Bruce safely tucked behind the pulpit as I slowly mouth the words, "You owe me." Primary is always an adventure. "Will my teachers show up today?" is the first question. I have yet to experience a Sunday substitute-free. We have stairs in our church building. I'm usually running up and down, across and inbetween, in and out looking for people, children, counselors, bishopric members, subsitutes, someone willing to serve. I'm sweating profusely before the second hour has even begun. And then there's sharing time. Teaching, conducting, cuddling, holding down of wiggly ones, shushing mini discussions around the room or children lost in solo conversation. "Note to self," I say. "Reverence issues on the agenda for my next presidency meeting." I think this must be the eternal theme of every Primary president.

But then the Primary children sing "If the Savior Stood Beside Me" in their loudest, brightest voices while I hold my Stop & Go sign. And when we get home, B wanders around the house with a transformer in one hand, singing, "When Jesus Christ Was Baptized." All three verses at the top of his lungs. And at bedtime, L prays that we can be safe, have the Spirit with us, and that M will be nice to him. And I remember that these are the Sundays I chose to have. Restful or not, I only want these kinds of Sundays.

9 comments:

Gayle said...

Ahh, the joy of Sundays! Crazy, but good. And yours crazier than most!
And I LOVE your new banner! You always inspire me - in so many ways!

Christi said...

First-Cute new header. And you are Primary President??? I totally missed that. I love it when kids sing :)

audrey said...

mm. good post. i love you. cannot wait to squeeze your little on-lets.

blu is now pulling herself up to standing position, taking a step or two, and then often crashing down... do i need to get her a helmet? she's fearless. whereas, me... i fear this new phase. bittersweet : )

xo.

Garity said...

I'm making a promise to you in writing...when I'm over this first trimester I will be at your beck and call...and yes, Bruce and the rest of the Bishopric owe you big time.

Love the header!

Melissa Hodgen said...

So Bruce's is at the pulpit now. I bet the kids love to wave and try and get him to smile. What would they do without us?

The kids singing definately melts the heart.

Kristen said...

Whoa...crazy Sundays huh? Bruce in the bishopric and you primary president? That is crazy and awesome at the same time!!! Wish you were here though. I pass by your old street a lot........ Sigh......

Sherwoods said...

Okay, we missed the new bishopric...I take it Bruce is there. Who else??? I will work on ideas for reverance issues in Primary. Good luck!

Dana said...

Your the primary president?! Ha haa! That isn't a mean laugh its just......oh man I feel your pain. Your doing better than you think and the results are in your kids. When ever children sing i cry....the primary program is this sunday here get out the tissues!

Kauti Nicholls said...

wow Noelle--I feel for you. Being primary president is like running a small country--good luck with that!