Monday, September 12, 2011

why i run

Photobucket
EZ got a hold of my Clif Shot Blok stash.

Finally finished my last 20-miler this morning. It was yucky and hard, but now it's done! Sweet taper. And I feel like jumping up and down for joy! Except that I can't. I'm hoping no one comes ringing my doorbell today, because I am not getting up off this couch.

I left the iPod in the car this morning. Didn't need it and it wouldn't have helped me. This higher mileage has forced me to switch serious mental gears. My friend, Kathryn, asked me the other day if I thought people were born to run or if some people were just not made to run. I think running can be hard on your body. There are a lot of factors involved and most people today suffer a lot of biomechanical issues. Maybe it's the shoes. Maybe it's our processed food diet. Maybe it's because we're sitting at a desk all day or we're hunched over our computers, laptops, iPads and iPhones. We're not out there toiling away for our food and existence, and maybe we've just gotten soft. I really don't know. But... I think the body is amazing. I think your body can do anything. And that a good portion of what your body is able to handle is an exercise in mental discipline.

My friend Betty asked me what I think about when I'm running that far sans music. I wasn't really sure. Sometimes I let my mind wander. I think about my family. I think about the little daily issues I am dealing with and what I can do about them. I think about my friends all around the country (and not in the country). I think about how much it hurts to run this far. I think about how grateful I am that I can run this far. I think about why I run. I think about who I am running for. I think about what I am running for (hint: it's not to get fit). I think about Bruce. I think about all the mornings I get up at 5am to go run and he stays home to be up with our four kids, change and feed them, make their lunches and get them off to school so I can pursue something that is important to me.

Training for a marathon is hard. Teaching your body to run 50 feet is hard. But every time I am out there, at some point in my run, I think, "I am grateful to have a body. I am grateful for two legs, two arms and a working heart. I am grateful to be alive." For me, running is not about getting into shape or wearing Lululemon skirts or eating like a 250-pound man (but maybe they're perks). For me, running is an expression of gratitude.

I run, because I can.

6 comments:

audrey said...

you are my inspiration. i love you.

Lim Family - Hawaii said...

run Noelle run. You are amazing. We are all rooting for you.

Sidney said...

I wish I enjoyed running, but I don't...at all. I've always been impressed with your runnng ever since I found out you were running while prego last year! You can do it! And is it ok to lay on your couch all day if you didn't just run 20 miles? That is kind of my plan today:) Great seeing you last week!

Danny and Lauren's Blog said...

Beautiful. Too bad I run so as not to turn unto a blimp because of all the food I want to eat - not nearly as lovely a reason as yours! ;-) I am so proud of you and excited to see you get it done!! Goooo Noe, gooo!

Allison said...

Run run run. I found your blog last winter while I was preggo with our 3rd, and reading your post-baby posts brought a smile to my face. Our Baby A is 6mo old and oh, it is SO glorious to be back in my running shoes. Thanks for furthering
my inspiration!

Shauna said...

ah noelle, i wish i was there to run with you...for the first four miles that is;) you're amazing. you'll be great. love ya