Thursday, September 1, 2011

26.2... one month away

Only one month! It's so unsettling. The longest I've run so far is 20 miles. And let me tell you, after that 20-mile run I wanted call this whole thing quits. It was long and it was hot and I was slow and it sucked. As soon as my Garmin hit 20.00, I stopped and started walking. And the thought of going another 6.2 miles just plain sickened me. I was mentally trashed.

It's been four days now, though, and it is true, that old adage: what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Day One of recovery is a beast. My muscle fibers are all ripped up, every joint aches and the lactic acid churns and burns. My legs are uber fidgety that first day, like I can never be still. I'm constantly rotating my ankles, flexing my knees or hopping from one foot to the other. I can't just stand in place.

Day Two is only easier if I do something active to "shake it off" and lubricate my joints. This week, I ran 20 miles on Monday and then taught a kickboxing class at 8am Tuesday morning. I felt much better after the class, because it alleviated the stiffness in my joints.

Day Three was Wednesday and I opted to postpone my 5-mile run and do nothing. It was a good call. My legs needed the rest and I woke up this morning feeling refreshed and ready to rock my BodyCombat and BodyFlow classes today.

So here we are at Day Four. But with the advent of higher mileage the past few months, I've garnered a few new besties along the way...

Ice. Sweet Ice. I bathe in this stuff. I stuff it down my bra. I pour it in a ziploc bag to cuddle my knees and scare inflammation away. This is what saves me.

Photobucket

But then again, I would be nothing without the black foam roller. Pressing out knots and flushing away lactic acid if I roll it just right... hurts so good.

Photobucket

The secret to better recovery after a workout: taking in 22g of protein in the form of one scoop of this stuff with approximately 5 ounces of H2O. Within 30 to 45 minutes of your workout is best.

Photobucket

I didn't include the bottle of sunscreen that is also sprayed on before a long run, but this is what saves me from those pesky pests who love my thin, delicate skin and sweet sangre at the break of dawn.

Photobucket

This little guy is usually with me in the car, pushing trigger points underneath my hamstrings whilst driving. If you see me grimace, this is why. It's hanging out underneath my leg.

Photobucket

Lululemon's Speed Skirt and CEP Compression Socks. Besties!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

With all the humidity and long runs that last for hours, this anti-chafe glide stuff is my very best bestie. And if I forget a spot on my body, I am hating life for 24-36 hours. Especially in the shower. (Burn!)

Photobucket

Lastly, one big shout out to my Garmin. Without you, I wouldn't have made it this far.

3 comments:

Danny and Lauren's Blog said...

This blog post just reaffirmed my desire to never, ever, run a marathon AND my admiration for you. ;-)

Kauti Nicholls said...

you are hardcore noelle. I feel like I got a bit of a workout reading your workout schedule. thanks ;)

Shauna said...

you might be crazy, but i'm pretty sure you're the badest mama i know. good luck on your run, i'll be praying for you. that you don't die that is. :)