Wednesday, November 24, 2010

the perfect roast turkey

Photobucket
Image from marthastewart.com


Written last night:

I've never cooked a turkey before. Ten years seems like an epic amount of time to have been married and never cooked a turkey. But this is the year of the perfect roasted turkey. I'll be using this recipe.

There is, of course, a strong possibility I will ruin it. So in that case, I have a plethora of sides and desserts planned so our 19 guests don't starve on Thanksgiving Day. Want to know our menu?

Turkey
Ham
Cornbread dressing
Broccoli salad
Green salad w/ apples and pecans
Sweet potato-pecan casserole
Green bean casserole
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Layered jello
Cranberry sauce
Rolls

Oo-la. That's a lot of carbs, non? And for dessert? Apple pie, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake, and a chocolate pie.

Feeling chubby and bloated already. But staring at all these recipes is making my mouth water and my tummy grumble. However, I have been committed to eating only soup and salad as my diet until Thursday. I am ready to get my eats on.

So what's on your menu?

Written this morning: 

I started the epic amount of cooking this morning by preparing the brine for my turkey. Then when it came time to cut the turkey out of its package and hike it out of the sink from under its wings, I started dry heaving. Raw, whole birds with their goosebumpy skin sickens me. SICKENS me!!!! There's a reason I go the Honey Baked Ham Company route and order my pre-cooked bird that only requires basting and re-heating. Curse Mexico and its lack thereof.

5 comments:

Christi said...

I am so with you with the raw poultry. I hate that part. But it does taste so good!!! Good luck!

Melissa Hodgen said...

Vomit is not considered a proper basting solution. Hope it was only up from there.

Menu a la Hodgen
Citrus brined turkey
corn bread and sausage dressing
green bean casserole
mashed taters
sweet taters encrusted with marshmellows
homemade rolls
pumpkin pie

We did not have an army to feed so we simplified. One day we will have a Melissa thanksgiving which will include some exotic variation of everything.

Laura said...

my menu was too large to list here but covered the good ol' southern tastings with some western additions to appeal to the "not-so-southern" family members.
there were 44 of us. we made most things 3 weeks ago and froze it. always a helpful thing.
as for the turkey. . .uhm, yeah I attempted that once and will never do it again. it was gross. i can hardly handle chicken breast! lucky for me, my kids and jarom don't even like turkey. so ham it will be for us. explains the turkeys hanging out in my backyard. . .they must have gotten word.

Lim Family - Hawaii said...

yummm Noelle! Sounds like a great menu and not surprisingly, or surprisingly, similar to what we had at Kauti's. Did you make finger jello? We had to make it twice because we muffed up ... :)

Chasing Izzy said...

I hear you on the raw goosebumpy bird thing. So being married to a hunter can have its challenges. Like freshly shot birds. Feathers, vacant expressions & all. Or deer steak. Venison. The word doesn't even sound appetizing. And no matter the seasonings- it can taste exactly like Outback steakhouse- if I start to think about what I'm chewing... It's not a pretty picture. But atleast I've tried.