






I have an eight year old. I know. What?!? B is an amazing kid and sometimes defies normalcy with his old soul perspective in life. It's easy to think he's eleven already, and when he acts his age, it's easy to get mad at him about it, because you're still thinking he's eleven. Poor guy.
Back in March, we bought him a new set of scriptures, and he started reading the Book of Mormon with the goal of finishing before he turned eight. Three-quarters of the way through, he started to lose steam and came to me saying he wanted to give up. So one day, I sat down with him and said, "B, this is a really hard thing you're doing, but I really think you can do this. I really think you can finish in time, and I'm going to help you." So that afternoon I sat down with him and we read through several chapters together. Afterward he turned to me and said, "Mom, I didn't think I could do it, but then when you started reading with me, I really started to feel like I could." He cheered up instantly. And every day after that we read together until he was finally finished. We both looked forward to that half hour together every afternoon. Me, especially, as opportunities to snuggle with my first baby are slowly disappearing.
So B got baptized Saturday afternoon. And I have virtually no pictures to show for it. Maybe three. Want to see?



That's it. And I didn't even take these. My mom did. If she hadn't, we'd really have absolutely nothing. When I realized this, I wept. DRAMATIC FAIL TO RECORD. Still in mourning here. So I washed B's and Bruce's white clothes and will be making them pose for the camera shortly.
At least the food was a hit. I think. Well, it went fast anyway. I served Chinese Chicken Salad, crescents, a fruit salad and had a few friends bring a few extra treats. I also attempted to make a Rainbow Cake, using this recipe. And I really think it had a good chance of turning out if I a) hadn't burnt it, b) had red food coloring to work with so it wasn't just various variations of green (I only had yellow, blue and green), and c) had taken the time to make the butter cream and fluffy frostings instead of resorting to Betty Crocker. Fail, fail, FAIL, fail...
Anyway.
We're in a new phase of life now. I have a child who has crossed over into the age of accountability. This is epic. And it happened too fast. Tomorrow he'll be growing hairs and shaving. Unbelievable. I love this boy with all of my heart.
7 comments:
Our two preschool kiddos are growing up too fast! Love you!
How do you have an 8 year old? Wasn't it yesterday we were singing Les Miserables at your house!?!?
You are such a good Mom!!!
I know I know. My A is turning ten in a few weeks and he thinks he is a teenager. He thinks the double digits counts. ie ie ie
Stop with the fail stuff. You are one of the most amazing mothers I know.
And I hear you on the "and when he acts his age, it's easy to get mad at him about it" thing. I'm the same way w/ Izzy. The girl's been talking since age 1 practically, & she can be so reasonable sometimes that I treat her like a 5 yr old. But really, she's just a barely 3 yr old who thinks you can't see her if she's hiding behind her hands. I need to cut the girl some slack.
I'm sooo sad Bryson is already 8! But the good news is that he starts cub scouts! I started to read the same time as Bryson and sorry to say that I'm still not done! but I'm hoping to finish this week... Bryson rocks (so does his parents)
He's so special. He's on his way to becoming a watchman on the tower, a shepherd, and a spiritual warrior. I'm very proud of him.
Post a Comment