Thursday, January 1, 2009

a mother's words


My mother sent one of her "about us" emails to me and my siblings today, which ended with the following:

2008 was a very good year for me. I was happy, productive, loved and loving. I was content yet striving and seeking. I continued to be curious and to learn. I remained optimistic, prayerful, and faithful to my covenants with God. I had lots of opportunities to apply faith, hope, and charity. And I have a stronger testimony that God lives and loves me.

Most of all, my mother, siblings and I were together peacefully and easily at the family reunion. My children love and respect each other in such a profound, simple and unconditional way, like a litter of puppies. My children are kind, good, funny, talented, interesting and contributing to society (because they are not in jail). Life is good, life is lovely. Life is complete.

Happy New Year, 2009!

Love Always,
Mama

This woman is in a class all her own. Miss you, Mom.

6 comments:

Melissa Hodgen said...

I love you're mom's words of wisdom. My favorite was "We don't keep up with "the Jone's". We ARE the Jones. People try to keep up with us."
So true.

Beth Davis said...

You are so lucky/blessed to have such an amazing mother. What a wonderful example of the kind of mother I'd love to be like someday.
I'm jealous because it seems like you have already reached that point:-) wise, fun, loving, etc. I love seeing how cute you are with your kids. . .

PS- I love the family picture of you and your siblings!

Shauna said...

noelle, your blog always makes my heart happy. your mom...pretty amazing! hope you had a great Christmas. love ya

audrey said...

sometimes i read your blog, and i'm like, oh how i love this witty girl and her family!!!! and then i think, mmm, so glad that you belong to me : ) cheesy trueness. i love you. i miss everybody. wish i could swing by and visit with you and the ons right now. i wish lukie would come walking by and re-realize me, bc then he'd put his thumb in his mouth and place his other hand on my cheek, meaning, "hug me, i love you." i miss your babies!!!

xoxo.

ps. love my socks with those dress shoes. not.

M said...

Scary to be misinterpreted. I don't remember ever saying, "People try to keep up with us." We don't keep up with the Jones is a philosophy about not comparing oneself to another. Otherwise, growth, exploration and joy are stunted.

I won't comment again, Noelle.

noelle said...

i'm sorry, who is this crazy m commenting on my blog? i have a strong desire to delete. less is more. i know the majority of immediate family members will agree. haha (for dramatic emphasis on this slippery slope of hyperbole).