Tuesday, December 8, 2009

do you have a jason?

If not, you should really get one. He will be the best thing that ever happened to you and save you from yourself and your technological idiocy.

Remember how my other computer crashed and my current tech situation is dangerously dicey? Well, the other night, I was attempting to download a picture to my old Dell from an external hard drive. A single picture. And then somehow - I don't know how - every picture I had taken since May 28, 2008 was erased off of that external hard drive. I searched and searched and there was nothing. It was like we had all died May 28, 2008, and were no more. My world was in shambles and my body spiked into a high fever that could not be consoled. It was midnight, Bruce was already asleep and I didn't dare wake him with news that was sure to be followed by, "WHAT?!?!? HOW?!?!? WHY?!?!?" I couldn't deal. My own personal drama was enough at that late hour.

So I did the only thing I could think of. I emailed my brother with the subject line, "HELP!!!!" and incoherent pleading. The next morning I woke to find this email:

the good news is that even though you may have deleted the files, they are definitely still on your hard drive.  the only way they would have been completely removed is if you overwrote them.  In other words, you would have had to completely fill up your hard drive with other data.  When you delete them, you really aren't doing anything to the actual files...you're just deleting the information about their location on the hard drive.

solution:

1) download PC Inspector and install it

http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recovery/download.htm?language=1#

2) then open the program

3) then follow these 5 steps:

1st) click open drive icon on left side (find your drive then click the green check mark)
2nd) click "deleted" in the menu list on the left (under root folder)
3rd) you should see the files you deleted, select them (press ctrl+click or shift+click to select multiple files)
4th) next, click the save file/directory icon on the left and then save them to a place on your computer that you can easily find
5th) do a jig and a jumping heel click

i love you

good luck

jase

See? You need to get a Jason. He will make everything better.

3 comments:

Laura said...

i will just use yours and save this actual post FOREVER!!! so glad that you have your family back. ;)

Pitcherpost said...

No I don't have a jason and I wish I did! I think it's more important to know someone like him then a car mechanic! What would he charge to try a save a hard drive that someone named Zach erased? Just the pictures...seriously, May through July 2009 of my life have been erased, okay it's actually only May and June, but it hurts still...

M said...

i have one. though, my version is a prototype so of the five steps i only get the jig and jumping heel click.