Thursday, March 10, 2011

my middle child

Is everyone else's family so textbook? Because seriously. My kids define birth order personality. Middle child characteristics: flexible, easy-going, social, peacemaker, independent, secretive, may feel life is unfair, strong negotiator, generous. This is L to a "t" (what does that mean, anyway?).

A few things I don't want to forget...

His favorite phrase lately is "Mom, Dad, I haven't told anybody this, but..." And it usually ends in something unnecessarily secretive... like he just brushed his teeth.

For FHE (Family Home Evening) the other night, he put on a tie and called himself "Bishop." He wrote out the agenda for the meeting as well as assignations and started us off with an authoritative, "Brothers and sisters, welcome to Family Home Evening."

He had a meltdown last night of epic proportions just before M's little birthday celebration. It involved him throwing away the homemade personal pizza I'd made for him after taking only one bite and me getting upset with him over it. "I worked really hard on making all the dough and preparing the pizza," I said. "Why would you throw it all away?" He felt so much guilt, which I think is a new phenomenon for him, and went ballistic. He locked himself in the bedroom, started throwing books on the floor and I could hear him yelling, "I hate M's birthday! M's cake is gross! It's so GROOOOOSS!!!" [Three minutes earlier he couldn't wait for a slice of cake.]

He has a brood of dinosaurs that require constant feeding and care. "I've got to go feed my dinosaurs," he exclaimed when he came home from school today. Also, apparently the T-Rex has been keeping everyone else awake at night and, according to L, he is "just exhausted" by the nightly interruptions.

Photobucket

Photobucket

L probably accidentally stepped on her on his way to the sink and she took it personally.

Photobucket

"What's wrong?" he asked.

Photobucket

"Tickle, tickle! Don't laugh!"

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Happy again. Well done, L.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Latest read: Speed Racer.

Photobucket

Ah, L. You are aging well. Mama loves you.

6 comments:

k. said...

Sweet. My favorite is "Mom & Dad, don't tell..."

And don't be scared. But I had the longest dream tonight (um, it's still "tonight") about YOUR children. And my conversations I had with all of them while I ran into them on the grounds of some (?) temple & asked them if I could take their photos so that I could send them to you... Strange.

noelle said...

oh, k. i love it. let's make that dream a reality someday soon!

erin said...

I can see your blog from my iPhone--hooray! I've been having technical difficulties with th on-spot; makes me sad.

L will always have a special place in my heart. Ever since we sat on top of a ruin together and had a casual chat.

Danny and Lauren's Blog said...

Just send him to me.

Kauti Nicholls said...

My L and your L need to hang out with their dinosaurs--she kisses hers all good night, feeds them my little pony's and takes them for boat rides. love their imaginations.

Chasing Izzy said...

They remind me so much of Chase & Izzy. Big comforting brother (most of the time) & Izzy needing comfort & loving. What would happen if we got all of them in the same room together?? Alas, when will we ever find out. (We can't make it to the wedding.) :(