









So friends. Let me share a story with you.
The other day while the kids and I were at the club, M was busy flitting back and forth around the perimeter of the playground. As she made her round past me nursing EZ, I asked her to throw some trash away. She grabbed the refuse from my hand and skipped over to the trash can across the other side of the playground.
I watched her with fondness. My little girl! So helpful. And then I watched her grab the edge of the trash can and lean her face against the edge as she peered inside to see what other goodies were lying in the pit of all that is heinous. "M!" I yelled. "M! M! M!" Getting more frantic the longer she had a firm grip on the can and her face was smashed up against it. The germaphobe within was writhing in agony. Finally I broke EZ off and started bee-lining it for her.
That's when I saw it. The look in her eyes as she turned her face toward me then. She had heard me the whole. time. She smirked, started backing away from the dirty can and slowly let her hands slide down the side. "M!" I yelled, as she flipped her head and started heading in the opposite direction. Oh, no you don't, I thought. I grabbed her skinny, little arm and marched her over to the stroller where I could slather her in baby wipes and anti-bacterial gel. And do you know what she said to me in a perfectly nonchalant voice, dripping of absolute awareness of her crime? "What, Mom? What?"
Pray for us.
10 comments:
ahhh i'm dying.
over M AND over the germs...
and you KNOW i can absolutely picture her and that trash can.
and that i have my own little... smirker.
ayayayyy.
we are both in trouble.
we'll have to do daughter swaps every summer during the teen years.
p.s. way to go with the pink frosting, Martha Stewart.
oh and by the way.
compare that smile of hers in the first picture to your smile in your profile picture.
SAME SMILE.
same purse of the lips.
she may look a lot like mom and bruce most days, but she is definitely your daughter!!
I love it!!!!!Happy Birthday M!!!
This reminds me of when I was with friend Jill on 36th Street waiting to get into a sample sale & her little Wyatt sat down on the ground, looked at his mother, & LICKED THE SIDEWALK. Just because he knew she'd have a panic attack.
That frosting looks amazing. Well done, mama.
I could use a slice of that pink cake right now!
Yep, i can relate to kids picking through garbage cans. When we were at a little league baseball game Sherman was picking ABC gum out of the garbage cans --- gross.
Happy birthday Makenna!
Well, at least she's got that sweet smile... even when it's not so sweet lol. Fun cake! I love pink frosting, personally. But I completely agree with you about The Cat in the Hat Comes Back. That book always made me exhausted. Just like those scenes in action movies when people throw eachother all over a room, shattering glass and messing the place up completely. Why??? Take it outside. Seriously.
Also, I loved your post about L. So sweeeeet. Cute babes :)
That is the pinkest cake I've ever seen...if pinkest is even a word.
Happy Birthday M. Hopefully by next year you will have lost your obsession to torment your mother via germ contact.
happy birthday M! glad your mom baked you 2 beautiful pink cakes! what a lucky little girl you are :) hope you got lots of fun presents!!!
The happiness of pink & cake COMBINED is too much for our little girlies.
well, i'll pop a xanax in your honor, cos that would send me through the roof. m & fox would be good friends. limits. when do they stop testing limits? tell me it's a phase.
Post a Comment